Brief History of Zion United Methodist Church

  • 1796-1808: Jacob Albright traveled through Pennsylvania and Virginia preaching the Evangelical message
  • Early 1800’s: Worship services were held in homes, barns and even outdoors in this part of the county, primarily with preachers with “Evangelical” backgrounds
  • 1831: First congregation was established in East Prospect within the “Evangelical Association”
  • 1834: First church was built on land donated by John A. Jacobs. This early stone structure was used for about 50 years.
  • 1882: New church was built at the current site (at a cost of $3500)
  • 1886: Women’s Missionary Society established (later to become The United Methodist Women)
  • 1896: Became part of the “United Evangelical” church
  • 1903: A central heat furnace was installed
  • 1910: Sunday school room was built; Stained glass windows installed and dedicated
  • 1923: Electric light was introduced into the church building
  • 1928-1929: Parsonage was built at current spot (cost was $9300)
  • 1946: Joined with the United Brethren in Christ Church to become “Evangelical United Brethren”
  • 1950: Excavation of the basement, providing Christian Education facilities
  • 1954: Dedication of Wurlitzer organ; Bulletins were introduced
  • 1968: Became “United Methodist Church”
  • 1962-1972: Extensive renovations; including new pews, altar rail, lighting, carpets, and exterior doors (at a cost of over $30,000)
  • 1976: Property purchased for parking lot
  • 1978: Men of Zion organized
  • 1982: Kitchen was installed at a cost of $3500
  • 1988: “Gabriel’s Horn” newsletter was introduced
  • 1990’s: Major renovations and updates to the church building
  • 1992, 2004, 2008: Held Bethlehem Experience dramas
  • 1999-2000: Purchased the house at 7 North Main Street, named Zion House, is used for meetings and storage
  • 2006: Purchased 11 acres of land from Canadochly Ambulance Club, later named Zion’s Hill, to possibly be used for fellowship hall
  • 2007: Installed projectors and screens in the front of the sanctuary
  • 2010: Began “New Song” a contemporary Worship Service, in addition to our traditional Worship Service each Sunday morning.
  • 2011: We are now part of the newly organized “Susquehanna Conference”
  • 2011:Purchased and razed house on South Main Street, to be used for access to Zion’s Hill land
  • 2011 As part of the Matthew 28 process (to help us make disciples for Christ and increase our membership) we adopted a new vision statement: CONNECTING OUR COMMUNITY THROUGH CHRIST

Weekly Services

Sunday, 9:00 a.m. New Song (Informal)

Sunday , 9:00 a.m. Sunday School

Sunday, 10:30 a.m. Traditional Service

Wednesday, 6:00 p.m. Prayer Service

Find Our Church

From US Route 30 East:

Head East on U.S. Route 30. Take the exit toward PA-462 / Wrightsville. Merge Onto State Rte 1026 / Cool Springs Road. Continue to follow Cool Springs Road to the first traffic light. Head straight through the traffic light onto Cool Creek Road. Continue 3.2 miles. Upon reaching a 4-way stop, turn left onto Nursery Road. Our church will be on your left at 1 N Main St.

Listen To Sermons

Each week, we'll upload a new sermon for listening while on the go or at home in case you can't make it to the weekly service. Click the button below to listen